A Root Canal Can Stop Issues Caused By Advanced Tooth Decay

Advanced tooth decay is no minor inconvenience. Without intervention from your dentist, a cavity that infiltrates the interior of your tooth can destroy that tooth, and allow for the continued spread of bacteria. When you need advanced restorative dental care, your dentist may need to address an internal infection by performing a root canal treatment. While many people are familiar with the term “root canal,” preconceived ideas about the procedure may have made you wary. What you should understand is that this treatment is important for those who need it, as it can do what is needed to save your tooth, and stop persistent dental discomfort.

How Your Dentist Determines If A Root Canal Will Be Called For

The key to determining if a root canal is needed is to examine the severity of a cavity. Simply put, if there is an internal problem caused by the cavity, your dentist will need to address that internal problem with the procedure. However, if a cavity is caught before bypassing your enamel, you may be fine with nothing more than a dental filling after the damaged portion of your tooth is excised.

Protecting Your Tooth With A Dental Crown After Undergoing A Root Canal

After a root canal, your tooth can be left vulnerable due to the amount of dental material lost. Offsetting this loss will require a dental crown. A crown covers the entire tooth above your gum line, and can take on biting and chewing tasks. There are appearance-friendly materials that can be used to construct your crown, so that your smile retains its appearance.

If You Need A Root Canal Treatment, Talk To Dr. Koshki!

A root canal is not necessary for every cavity, but it is vital to stopping a cavity that has attacked the interior of your tooth. Dr. Koshki is able to address this problem, and help you regain a healthy smile. To learn more about the services available to you, or to schedule a consultation with Dr. Moeiz Koshki, you can call Santa Monica Dental Arts in Santa Monica, CA at 310-395-1261.